Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tiny Resolutions



Lifted from The Tiny Revolution

Here we are in another new year. I know because I lay in bed the other night and listened to the annual barrage of gunfire that traditionally marks the start of the New Year in south St. Louis and I guess in most other parts of the city as well urban areas around the nation. Crime is something that I rarely ever think about and I feel very safe in my neighborhood and in the surrounding area. I feel sorry for those pathetic people whose lives are controlled by the racism and fear that are perpetuated by the nightly news and other media but at the same time I think everybody must think to themselves on New Years Eve “holy shit there are lot of guns out there”.

The other way that I know that it is a new year is that there are all kinds of people running around town in new jogging suits trying to shave off a few pounds. I guess they have New Years resolutions. I have never done this before and generally go 180 degrees the other way from popular conventional thinking like this especially when I am sure most resolutions have a pretty poor track record of success. I think I am going to give it a try though. Why not, there are some things I would like to work on and why wait, the start of the year seems like a good enough natural beginning point for a few basic life changes.

I have decided instead of traditional stuff like loosing weight, saving money, or watching fewer episodes of Judge Judy I am going to focus on some broader areas of change.

Here are my resolutions:

1. Be more creative. I want to remember 2007 as the year of creativity. I have totally eliminated almost every creative aspect from my life and I want that to change. I want to work on some writing projects (zines etc.), I plan to get more into crafts and I would also love to learn how to draw. We will see how it all goes.

2. Focus on Food. I am sure I have talked about this here in the past but we plan to give it another go. This is a multi-pronged approach with the hope of accomplishing a few different things. We want to reduce our food cost while at the same time eating more locally grown, organic produce and meat. I know these things seem at odds but I am sure we can do it with more use of huge garden, using our CSA more effectively and continuing to get free produce from some of my farmer friends. These things combined with good meal planning and less eating out will definitely reduce our food cost and waste. It is very important to us that Atom understands where his food comes from...Read More

No comments: