Friday, August 18, 2006

99th pirate papa post

dug thru 1167 dusty books first thing this morning in my mother's garage, texts courtesy of Whitman College and my ongoing biblioventures. lyli and scarleht pay little attention to me when around their gramma and grampa, it's a mix of insult and relief and understanding and prioritizing and thanking god(s) for letting me get everything done and still have easy time to read, write, drink, nap in the grass!!!! woo-hoo! can't remember the last time I did that. So, for my 99th post, this one isn't incredibly deep or informative. I'm in Walla Walla working sporadically and my folks are getting some grandkid fix. Here until monday and then back west to work on books and crack down on the farm house. Only spent a smattering of days there in the last month. Give me the chills but sweet. Started (if I did it right) a Papa Blog Group on Myspace today, we'll see what happens. If you know what you're doing, my-space page can be accessed here.

more Walla Tacos from the bus, horchata in August tastes better than any other time of year. Here's a recipe:

6 tablespoons long grain white rice
1 1/4 cups blanched skinless almonts
1 cinnamon stick
approximately 1 tablespoon lime zest
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups water

preparation time: 24 hours (approx 45 min active time)

Grind the rice using a blender or coffee grinder, as smooth as possible.
Combine ground rice, almonds, cinnamon, lime zest, and 3 cups of water.
Cover and let stand overnight.
Blend the rice mixture until as smooth as possible - several minutes.
Add 2 more cups of water, half the sugar, the vanilla and blend a few seconds more.
Pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer to get out most of the solids.
Pour the strained liquid through damp cheese cloth.
Add more sugar and water to taste.
Cover and refrigerate.
Serve over ice.

Thanks Life Begins at 30!

Will throw some new pics up tomorrow when I am not falling asleep on my keyboard. Thank you, as usual, my faithful fans, and goodnight to all of you. Keep your knives sharp, your doors open and your prize right between your eyes (or thighs).

No comments: